Photo Tours And Workshops: 2017 Venice Carnival Photography Workshop
FEBRUARY 18-24, 2017
The Venice Carnival Workshop is different from most tours in that there is no itinerary from the standpoint of Day 1, Day 2, etc. The weather changes, opportunities for private shoots arise, and our models often appear in specific areas throughout the week. Although some shoots will be pre-arranged long in advance, we will adjust our schedule on the fly in order to get the most out of our time there.
Here is what we will be shooting:
- Carnival model in a palace ballroom and on an incredible grand staircase
- Private shoot with masked models in a gondola
- Model shoot in Venice's opera house (not yet confirmed)
- Carnival models that congregate in the plaza at dusk and sunrise... the best time of day in Venice and the least crowded
- Burano Island, a boat ride from the main island... a truly amazing place with rows of colorful houses, bridges and canals
- Models in front of San Gorgio palace at sunset
- We also know some great lesser known city locations and will arrange some shoots away from the crowds
- City shots, windows and textures for stand-alone images and compositing
- Composition, including "breaking the rules"
- Effective use of off-camera flash
- Basic Lightroom and Photoshop
- Nik Filters
- Advanced post-processing techniques, including luminosity masking and adding textures (we will also provide post-processing PDF hand-outs to participants)
- Renee will be teaching techniques behind creating her incredible composite images
- Ken will go over his portrait techniques and how they can be applied to the Venetian models for a unique look
- We will have the opportunity to do a group critique of images shot and processed during the trip
Although experience is an obvious advantage, this workshop is open to photographers of all skill levels. In fact, it is a great opportunity to learn! We have a low instructor-to-participant ratio and will do more than just get you to the right locations... we will assist you with composition and shooting, for those interested. At minimum, you will want to be familiar with your camera's and off-camera flash's controls.
You will want lenses in the wide-angle and portrait range. Additionally, equipment to trigger your flash off-camera is important for the morning and evening shooting. If you don't own a flash and trigger, talk to me. Bring your laptop with Photoshop, Lightroom or Bridge. Nik Filters will also be important for post-processing sessions. Bring enough memory cards... I suggest at least 100 gigs or more. Extra camera batteries are always a good idea. And, of course, bring a tripod.
As you probably already know, you can't drive around Venice. So, we'll be walking a fair amount and taking the public water taxis. Some of the walking will be up and down stairs when crossing Venice's bridges. Additionally, the weather can be a bit chilly or cold in February, but usually not cold enough to snow.
Operator: Ken Koskela Photography LLC
Instructors: Ken Koskela, Renee Doyle
Duration: 7 days, 6 nights
Price (Shared Room): USD 3,975
Single Room Supplement: USD 850
Deposit: USD 1,000 and a completed registration form to reserve your spot.; Important - See "Tour Policies" (link below) for information on payments due and refund policy.
Price Includes: Accommodations (sharing in double room unless single supplement paid), breakfasts at hotel, welcome dinner, farewell dinner, transport from/to airport by public bus and public water taxi, fees for arranged shoots, photo instruction & critiques. Note: If you prefer a private water taxi from/to the airport, we can arrange for an additional fee.
Price Does Not Include: Everything not noted as included, such as airfare to and from Venice, meals other than those noted above, alcohol, tips, passport and visa costs.
After reviewing the tour info and policies, please fill out & sign the tour registration form and then contact me via the contact form. You can pay the deposit using using the button below (this is only the deposit amount) or you can mail me a check if you prefer.